A domain name is your website’s home in the online world. It’s what people will type in to find you, and it can also be crucial for your branding. Your domain needs to be easily remembered, as well as relevant for your company.
There are a lot of different domain types you can use, and new ones are always popping up. While the domain extension .com is still the most popular, there are now a number of other options to choose from, including .online, .biz, .io, or .app, and more.
So, which one should you choose for your business? And why should it matter to you? In this article, we’ll explore all the reasons why you could want to pick a specific one for your company.
What are the differences between all the domain extensions?
When it comes to domain extensions, there are three main categories:
– gTLDs (generic top-level domains) – these are the most common domain extensions, such as .com, .org, or .net;
– ccTLDs (country code top-level domains) – these are country specific domain extensions, such as .us for the United States or .es for Spanish websites;
– sTLDs (sponsored top-level domains) – these are domain extensions that are sponsored by a specific company or organization, such as .gov for government websites or .edu for educational institutions.
In most cases, you’ll want to stick with those in the first category. However, in the last few years, gTLDs have grown in the number of alternatives available for customers; so, for example, now you can pick a .app domain with IONOS and use it for a tech startup for half the price of a .com domain.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the most popular domain extensions and what they might be best for:
- .com: The .com extension is the most used and the one that most people trust. If you can get a .com domain name that’s relevant to your business, that’s probably your best bet.
- .biz: The .biz extension is best for businesses that want to show they’re serious about their online presence. It’s also a good option if the .com version of your domain name of choice is not available for some reason.
- .online: The .online extension is perfect for businesses that want to emphasize their technical nature. This is a good choice for companies that do most or all of their business online.
- .app: The .app extension has become popular with tech startups in recent years. If you’re in the tech industry, this might be a good option for you.
- Extensions like, .io, .ai and .tech are also becoming increasingly popular with tech companies.
Does the extension matter for SEO?
One common misconception is that the domain extension you choose can impact your SEO. However, this isn’t actually true. Google has said time and again that the domain extension has no bearing on your ranking in search results.
So, if you’re trying to decide between .com and .biz *domain names* for example, you can rest assured that there will be no difference in terms of SEO.
However, it’s worth noting that some domain extensions can be associated with spammy websites. For example, .info domains were once commonly used by spammers, so some people may still associate them with such sites. As a result, it’s generally best to avoid these types of extensions if possible.
What about branding?
While the domain extension you choose won’t impact your SEO, it can still be important for branding purposes. A domain name is one of the first things people will see when they come to your website, so you want to make sure it’s something that’s easy to remember and relevant to your business.
For example, if you’re a tech company, a .com domain might not be the best choice. Instead, you might want to go with a .app or .io domain, which would be more in line with what people would expect from a software-based business.
Similarly, if you’re a country-specific business, then a ccTLD might make more sense than a .com domain. For example, if you’re a UK – based business, then a .co.uk domain would be more appropriate than a .com domain.
At the end of the day, the domain extension you choose is up to you. However, you need to remember that it can be important for branding purposes. If you’re unsure which extension to choose, it’s always best to consult with a professional who can help you make the right decision for your business.
Price difference between domain extensions
There can be a big difference in price between different domain extensions. For example, a .app domain name will typically cost around $ 10 per year, while a .io domain name can cost upwards of $50 per year.
Of course, the price you ultimately pay for your domain will depend on things like the company you buy it from and the popularity of that particular brand name. However, it’s important to keep in mind that there can be a big difference in cost between different domain extensions.
There are a lot of different domain extensions out there these days, and it can be tough to decide which one to choose for your business. The most important thing is to pick something that’s relevant and easy to remember.
If you can get a .com domain name that meets those criteria, that’s probably your best bet. But if that’s not an option for your chosen brand name, you can always go with one of the newer extensions and still be perfectly fine.
Also, if you’re in a very specific niche, there might be a domain extension that’s perfect for your business. For example, if you’re a tech company, you might want to consider a .app or .io domain.
Whatever you choose, just make sure it’s something that makes sense for your business and is easy for people to remember. With so many domain extensions to choose from these days, there’s bound to be one that’s perfect for you.